Washington State Pre-Prohibition Liquor Flasks
Charles Langert was a wholesale liquor dealer who started in Tacoma in 1881 when he acquired a storeroom and warehouse for liquor distribution. This business lasted until 1896 when he then concentrated his business efforts in Spokane.
The company had its beginning in 1904 when Gustave (Gus) E. Hanson and Arnold A. Zbiden opened a saloon and family liquor store at 621 - 623 First Avenue. Hanson opened an additional store at 103 Pike St. in 1907 and both operations continued until Prohibition in 1915.
Charles Hascall was granted a liquor license as the president and proprietor of the Saratoga Liquor House located at 812 2nd Avenue in June 1905. He was in operation until shortly before 1915. The establishment was always located at 812 Second Ave and lasted until Prohibition in 1915.
David M. Hoffman was in the saloon business in Tacoma from 1884-1895. He owned a bar under his own name that was located at 1009 Pacific Ave. and later moved to 1207 Pacific Ave. In 1896 he owned both a saloon and wholesale liquor house located in the Hotel Tacoma (The Hoffmann Building).
Charles L. Christy began in the saloon business when he and his partner opened "Miller & Christy's Saloon" at 100 Yesler Way in 1898. They were located there until 1902 when they purchased the "Monterrey Liquor Co." at 84 Yesler Way. Christy took over ownership in 1904 and was in business until 1908.
Sometime in 1912, William Grant relocated his saloon to 1414 Third Ave (Grant's Cafe) and by 1915 James Casey was operating a saloon at 1406-1408 Third Ave. Both the Belfre and Liberty Wine Companies (listedat that same location) were most likely run by Casey and eventually closed business in 1915 due to Prohibition.
N. W. Phillips opened the Caledonian Liquor Co. at 1130 D St in 1913 and remained at that location until sometime in 1914. He moved the business around the corner to 11th & Market St. where he combined the liquor business with a grocery operation. His company motto was "Where Ladies can Trade" lasting until 1915.
James Rogers opened the Our House Saloon on Washington St in Seattle sometime in 1889 and remained in business there until 1901. The business was always listed as a saloon or cafe except for the year 1907 when they were listed as a wholesales operation. The business was closed by Prohibition in 1915.
James "Jimmie" Durkin (1859-1934) gained notoriety in the Inland Empire of Eastern Washington as Spokane's legendary liquor tycoon. Durkin eventually had three stores (at 702 Sprague Avenue, 121 Howard Street and 415 W Main Avenue) which lasted until Prohibition in 1915.
The Rathskeller opened in 1903 as the Rathskeller Grill on Second Ave. and Cherry St. and as the Rathskeller Buffet located at 1110 Second Ave. It was listed as a saloon from 1904-1905 and from 1910 until its closing by Prohibition in 1915. It may also have been listed as a cafe or restaurant between 1906-1909.